With New Year’s Eve just a few days away, I’ve been thinking a lot about New Year’s Resolutions.
In years past, I would set the goal of losing weight and getting in shape. I would jump in (more like cannonball in) to these goals with so much motivation and enthusiasm. I would feel great for a week or so- really proud of myself for taking action, and almost high off the fact that this was going to be my year!
Until… I woke up after the first week or so. Tired, sore, and frustrated that I wasn’t seeing the immediate results that I was hoping for. “My whole body hurts. I haven’t had carbs in a week. I am so tired and hungry… and literally haven’t lost a single pound. Ugh I deserve pancakes”. And so would start the few days of eff-it-mode that would start the cycle all over again.
As January would come to an end, I would be down on myself because nothing had changed. No “New year, new me” for this girl! Just right back to another year of the same diet and fitness yo-yo cycle that had plagued me for most of my life.
Sound familiar? Then this post is for you, friend.
It took me years to come to understand this, but I am confident that this new way of looking at your New Year’s Resolution will change the game for your weight loss, health, and fitness goals.
Here is the biggest problem:
“Losing weight” is not a resolution, it is an INTENTION, and without the proper plan and action steps, it is completely unattainable.
Losing weight is the big picture final result that you are looking for, but it requires a lot of moving parts, behavior changes, and new lifestyle habits to reach it. So THOSE are where we should start.
Grab your journal and join me on this one!
1) Start by writing out your INTENTION, ie losing weight. Circle it, star it, write it in fancy lettering. That’s it, where we are going, the main idea.
2) Underneath it, write your why. I have talked about this before, but this is the deepest root of your desire for losing weight. Ask yourself “why do I want to lose weight?”, find the answer, then ask one more time. This is reason that motivates you deep in your heart to continue on your journey, even when it gets tough. Come back to this why, written on this page, under your biggest intention, often. Don’t lose sight of it.
3) Break down the intention into 2 or 3 subgroups that will help you reach it. For losing weight, maybe these things are HEALTHY EATING, WORKING OUT, and OTHER ASPECTS of wellness. Now you have categories of lifestyle habits that you can use to change your behaviors over time.
4) Under each category, brainstorm all of the ACTION STEPS or concrete behaviors that you can implement to achieve them.
Under “healthy eating”, maybe you have:
Under “working out”, maybe you write:
Under “other aspects”, maybe you need to:
5) Add as many things to each list as you can. Then CHOOSE ONE from each category to start NOW. Make these things your focus for a few days or a week; until they feel like a maintainable habit. Then, introduce another in to the mix.
Now, you have a plan that includes weeks worth of actionable steps that you can take to move yourself closer and closer to your goals. This is how you make a New Year’s Resolution stick. You take ACTION!... but not too much all at once.
I firmly believe in adding in new habits little by little so that our bodies don’t burn out and our minds don’t freak out from overwhelm. When you can see the path laid out, see the steps to take, and know that each step is working towards your ultimate intention, powered by your deepest why… you will be unstoppable.
Baby steps add up big in the long run! And, if you want your New Year’s Resolutions to stick longer than the third week of January, this is a smart approach to take.
You absolutely CAN achieve your New Year’s goal of losing weight, and you absolutely WILL, especially when you treat yourself with kindness and change your lifestyle habits slowly over time. It is so empowering to feel like you have control over your progress and and clear path of where to go next.
Try this journaling exercise, and see how it makes you feel! Please email me and let me know how it went, or if you need any further guidance! I would love to help.
**PS- if you are totally lost in your actionable steps for each category of your goal, hiring a coach to lay it all out for you can be life changing. I am opening up new 1:1 spots after the New Year, so stay tuned for that! Or click this link to apply for the limited spots now!